Arlington police shoot suspect who shot officer during chase, officials say

ARLINGTON, TXArlington police shot and killed a man they said had committed increasingly violent crimes, including shooting at a police officer.

It all started with a domestic call at a home Monday morning, followed by an attempted armed robbery and a truck theft.

That resulted in a short chase during which police said the suspect shot a police officer, and it ended after a crash in the neighbor’s driveway. Two police officers shot and injured the suspect.

The police shooting took place in Kerry O’Connell’s driveway.

“I ran up to the front window and saw this officer running across the yard with his gun pointed like that at me,” she recalled.

It all started around 10 a.m. Monday when Arlington officers responded to a domestic call at a home about an argument between a family member and a 20-year-old man.

Police found this man near the house. They found no evidence of a crime, so they offered to give him a ride home, but told him they would have to search him for weapons before he was allowed into the patrol car.

“As they were going to search the man, he ran away,” said Arlington Police Lt. Courtney White. “The man was not under arrest at the time and had not committed any criminal offence, therefore the officers did not pursue him.”

Then police say a neighbor called 911 about the 20-year-old man.

“The homeowner called 911 to report that a man holding a gun approached him and demanded money, but then quickly left the area,” White said.

While police were investigating the attempted robbery, they received a third call regarding the 20-year-old.

“The family member reported that he had returned home and was attempting to pick up a van in the driveway,” White said.

The suspect led police on a short chase in that truck and, at one point, shot an Arlington police officer.

“He fires a bullet through his window at one of our officers, who is stationed down the street,” White said. “That officer then radios everyone that shots have been fired.”

Then, the suspect crashed his truck into another vehicle. The innocent driver survived.

The truck ended up in O’Connell’s front yard. Police confronted the suspect after he got out of the truck.

Two police officers shot the man. The gunshots were heard throughout the neighborhood.

“All of a sudden I’m like, ‘Why are there so many mermaids?'” neighbor Noble Teal recalled. “So I started moving forward and then, ‘Bang! Bang! Bang!’ About twenty shots.”

The suspect was then transported to hospital.

Police recovered a firearm at the scene.

“You feel bad for him, but it was definitely a dangerous situation,” O’Connell said.

Police say the suspect is expected to survive. His name will be released once he is transferred to prison and formally charged.

The man will be charged with aggravated assault of a public servant, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, two counts of aggravated assault – domestic violence and one count of escape for escape.

No officers were injured.

The officers involved in the shooting have been placed on paid administrative leave.